Thursday, September 2, 2010

You're Such a Goody-Two-Shoes

Have you ever been called “goody-two-shoes”? I have. There were times I was told I was too honest because, for example, I corrected a cashier’s error or I refused to tell untruths on someone else’s behalf.

I used to be offended by the term goody-two-shoes because my mind conjured up images of a schoolmarm who had zero sense of fun or risk-taking. Who wanted to be perceived in that manner? Not me!

Over time as I immersed myself in books and courses on personal development and leadership, the term “integrity” began to take on great significance. I saw the devastating effects a lack of integrity had on businesses, the economy, and communities (think Bernie Madoff, the Great Recession, and Fortune 500 companies that have fallen from grace). Certainly other factors such as greed played a role in these situations; yet, a lack of integrity ranks high on the list.

In 2009, when Fortune magazine reported schools were adding courses on integrity to MBA programs, I knew these schools saw the same lack-of-integrity effects I did.

Nowadays, when someone describes me as goody-two-shoes I realize what they are really saying is, I am a woman of integrity. If the term goody-two-shoes does not appeal to you, the next time someone describes you as such consider it a high compliment and keep moving forward.

Unleash your brilliance without boundaries,
Christine

___________________________
Visit website: www.christinenferguson.com
Follow the Enrichment Blog: christineferguson.blogspot.com
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/christinenferguson
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrisnferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment