Thursday, April 14, 2011

So You Want to Put One Foot in Front of the Other?

"Things that seem hard are not always that hard. Put one foot in front of the other, and you’ll get to the end." ~ Author Unknown

After years of being physically active, my fitness routine was slowly becoming non-existent. Consequently, I committed to walking every morning for 30-45 minutes during the month of April until physical activity was again a habit.

The Challenge of Putting One Foot in Front of the Other
One morning I stepped outside and began questioning my decision to go walking. The sky was distinctly ominous and wind gusts were so strong I struggled to put one foot in front of the other. Nonetheless, I pushed forward determined to honor my commitment.

Better Days May be Around the Corner
Within minutes I rounded a corner and the wind tapered off thereby making my walk more manageable. Tumbleweeds blew through the streets, flowers were flattened by the wind, and there wasn’t another hiker or jogger around.

Although I considered walking for twenty minutes instead of forty-five, I pressed on despite powerful gusts which occasionally pushed me along and blasted my face with cool air.

Also see: Persistence: The Stuff of Legends and Heroes

It IS Possible to Complete the Journey
Twenty minutes later, I formed the analogy between my determination to keep walking and those who push forward to achieve a goal or dream.

The real “ah-ha!” came when I realized I nearly canceled my walk until I turned the corner and saw the possibility of keeping my commitment.

Similarly, when you embark on a goal or dream, following through may seem difficult at first. However, when you stay focused and committed, the winds will change in your favor.

Along the way, the winds may shift and temporarily upset your balance. Yet, by continually putting one foot in front of the other, you will complete the journey.

That morning, I put one foot in front of the other and completed a forty-five minute journey.
___________________________
Visit Christine Ferguson at:
Main Website
End Leadership Hunger
Real Leadership Series
Facebook
Twitter
Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment