Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father's Love is Sometimes Unspoken: An Unforgettable Discovery of Truth

Like some dads, my father did not express his emotions often.

Thirty years after his passing, I continued to believe he may not have loved me very much. That is, until one day when I had an unforgettable experience.

Three years ago, while attending a personal development course, the trainer instructed the group to get into pairs and complete an exercise on appreciating and understanding our parents.

As it turned out, the man I had partnered with was an educated, intelligent young man from the Caribbean—just like my dad. The instructor turned down the lights, and I closed my eyes and began speaking with my partner as if he were my father.

The words that came out of my mouth went something like, “You were always so strict with us and I feel you never really loved me.”

With my eyes still closed, I heard this loving and peaceful reply assuring me I was loved. “You see,” said the voice, “I was raised to be a strong man. That was my way. I wanted you to be strong. I wanted the best for you.”

I heard what seemed to be my father’s voice, continuing to speak with me and putting to rest the doubts I had carried for so long.

Within minutes, tears were streaming down my face because not only did I understand; I also felt that in some way my father was at peace for finally sharing these thoughts with me.

On this Father’s Day, enjoy this inspiring video, in which the true story of Dick Hoyt and his son Rick unfold. As you watch, know that although your father may not express his love for you by running marathons, he loves you in his own way.

___________________________
Visit Christine Ferguson at:
Main Website
End Leadership Hunger
Real Leadership Series
Facebook
Twitter
Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment