Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Judge Me by Who I Am Today, Not by Who I Was Yesterday

Do you know someone who judges you by your past actions and behaviors despite the fact that you have grown emotionally, spiritually, or stronger in character?

As I read the chapter, "Kill a Mosquito with an Ax to Conquer Your Goals" by motivational speaker Les Brown, the following words resonated with me:

"I firmly believe you have to move outside of your normal relationships to really make something happen in your life. Why? Well…some people know too much about you and will not let you forget it. I still have some childhood friends who recall how bad I was in school or how many times I screwed up early in my career."

Les's words resonated with me because I am sometimes reminded of things I have said or done in the past. Things that do not reflect who I am today. It takes hard work, discipline and time--among other things--to learn, grow and change as a person. Work that someone else may not be willing to do. So, when someone reminds you of who you once were, tell them to judge you by who you are today, not by who you were yesterday.

-------------------
Les Brown's chapter is published in the new book The Power of the Platform: Speakers on Life (coming June 2010). My chapter "Your Dream Won't Find You" is also published in the same book.

No comments:

Post a Comment