Friday, June 4, 2010

Make Action Plans, Not Excuses

For the first time ever, I caught a glimpse of the reality TV show "So You Think You Can Dance." Although I am not a big reality TV show watcher, I admit I found the performance by Jarrell Robinson, a hearing impaired man, inspiring.

The judges were impressed and although they did not move Robinson to the next round they, too, found him inspiring.

In the upcoming book The Power of the Platform: Speakers on Life, I talk about how some people make excuses, not action plans. This man did the opposite. He did not make excuses. He did not say, "I cannot hear music, so I won't dance." No. Instead he made a plan and what's more he followed through.

As you think of the things you want to achieve, make action plans, not excuses; and reflect on the Van Gogh quote, "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced."

No comments:

Post a Comment